When you live in Canada, Toronto area on Monday you have snow, on Tuesday it’s pouring. Wednesday-Thursday it’s hot melting summer, Friday is pretty normal and all Weekend it’s freezing rain… yes… you know that feeling! And if your family is 4+ members then considering all the amount of shoes and clothes for all the seasons you should have handy you facing a huge dilemma - Where on earth to store all of that in your tiny entryway??
And then all the interior design magazines keep telling you – your entry is the first thing your guests see - make a statement, make a WOW effect, make them dazzling… but seriously - how?? Unless you want them to wow with your toddlers shoe collection blocking the door then stay with me and read further.
Here are my best tips how to make your entryway functional and beautiful all at the same time. I strive for decor solutions that are easy and fun, because we are usually busy to do something difficult.
Find out the 8 decor solutions for your entryway that easy to do, beautiful to see and functional to use:
1. Reinvent your closet. Open up a small dark space and create more storage and ease of access by ditching the closet door.
2. Install a double rod. The bottom rod would be just perfect for your little ones!
3. Use basket for slippers and small items like hats and scarfs. TIP: put decorative names of your family members on the baskets and store stuff accordingly.
4. Add hooks. Because it’s never enough space in your closet. Hang your belongings beautifully, put your lovely hat and stylish umbrella on a hook. TIP: look for unique and great looking hooks that will add a character to your entry even when they are empty.
5. Mirror! The bigger the better! It brightens and maximize the space. TIP: you don’t need to ruin your wall with huge nails to hand the mirror. Just lean it behind a slim but sturdy console table to create that stylish layered look.
6. Find beautiful console table and use it wisely. Put a tray for small items like keys; place some cute baskets with leads underneath – for running shoes and sport equipment; place a statement table lamp and keep it on (use LED lamp).
7. Use a bookcase or wall cabinet as an additional shoe storage. Open shelving or with doors - both could be functional and store all your shoe clutter.
8. Let your ceiling make the WOW! Sometimes there is no more space for wow in your entryway, so bring it up. Paint the ceiling with your favorite color and hang the gorgeous chandelier.
Some of these solutions could save your entryway. But remember, that you are designing it for yourself, not for some person living on a magazine page. Choose solution that works best for you and function properly for your family.
By the way, I created the Ultimate List of Furnishings and Decor Accessories to plan your Entryway. There are also 6 other checklists in a bundle for all the significant areas in your house. Grab it here >>>